First off a quick kudos to Chuck this week. It was a fabulous episode that reclaimed its former glory. I’m glad that only Human Target was new on Monday night so that we also tuned in. It was funny and heartfelt and beautifully crafted.
Now onto the purpose of this post – The Cape. It was seriously the worst thing I’ve tuned into in a long time. I’d put it up there in the ranks of M. Night’s recent failures. I wanted to like it, I really did.
- Summer Glau seems to have the kiss of death when it comes to television shows (Firefly, Dollhouse, Sarah Conner Chronicles), but her role doesn’t seem nearly big enough to be the cause.
- NBC cut the order from 13 to 10 episodes, meaning they see there’s a problem. But is the show a problem because they futzed with it too much??
- Perhaps that the whole premise of the show is based around a bad CGI effect: the cape itself?
- The creator & writer Tom Wheeler doesn’t seem to have a lot of fantasy, comic book writing experience. It is a unique genre that perhaps he just doesn’t grasp fully. Perhaps he needs to hire more experienced writers: Jane Espenson perhaps? I think she’s smart enough not to touch this with a 10 foot pole though.
- Lead actor David Lyons could be to blame, perhaps he isn’t a strong enough actor to carry the lead role.
I think it’s just a perfect storm of bad choices that have led to this show being awful, so don’t waste your time. You will regret it!